FLORENCE 200 PARADE
The City of Florence is celebrating its 200th birthday and we're throwing a year-long party!
And to help kick off the celebrations, we're having a parade!
So grab your friends, decorate a float, put together a band on a flatbed trailer and join us to celebrate the bicentennial of Florence. You are encouraged to theme your float, performance or musical group, costume, decoration or musical selection related to anything in Florence's past, present or dream of the future.
So get creative & have some fun!
Florence Main Street, is responsible for coordinating the Bicentennial Parade and as always, there are rules to be followed. These rules and regulations are to improve safety (following state laws and city ordinances) and provide increased enjoyment for participants and spectators.
VERY IMPORTANT...The Parade route will follow Court Street from the north end at Rogers Hall on the UNA campus to the southern end at Alabama Street. Parade line up will begin at 9:30am on Pine Street between Irvine and Cumberland Streets. Your exact time for line up will be determined by your placement in the parade. That information will be sent to you early in the week of the parade.
Please remember with the Parade line up being on Pine Street and ending on South Court Street at Alabama Street to arrange your drop off and pick up locations to match those areas.
Awards will be given so really dive into your theme. Think history...your group's history, history of Florence, history of the Shoals. Think Future...where do you see Florence or your group in 100 years?
The following are the rules and regulations set forth for the 2018 Florence Bicentennial Parade:
- This parade is FREE! No entry fees required!
- Entry applications will not be accepted when Florence Main Street, Inc. Executive Committee or the Bicentennial Committee determines an entry to be controversial, unlawful, or inconsistent with the standards, the theme and the purposes of the Bicentennial parade. At any time after acceptance an entry may not be allowed to participate in the Bicentennial parade if it deviates from the original application or violates any Bicentennial parade rule or regulation.
- Florence Main Street, Inc. and the Bicentennial Committee reserves the right to withdraw any float, any vehicle, any group or any person of which costume, display, decorations, theme or performance does not meet the Bicentennial parade rules and regulations or conform to the standards of reasonable public taste and fit the parade theme.
- Entrants must observe all applicable rules and regulations and follow instructions from City of Florence Police and parade officials or be barred from the parade. Florence Main Street, Inc. and the Bicentennial Committee reserves the right to remove any entrant from the parade either prior to assembly, while assembling or any time during the parade.
- Each entry is limited to ten (10) units. Each entry must represent a different decade. For example, the XYZ car club will be allowed 10 cars in their entry but the cars must represent cars made in different decades.
- Entries MUST be decorated or dressed to reflect the theme of the parade:
'Through the Years';No undecorated floats will be allowed! There's nothing more boring than watching a bunch of the same cars driving down the road!
Horses/animals are allowed in the Bicentennial Parade but horses must be bagged or you must clean up after your animals. If horses are not bagged and you do not show parade officials your 'clean up crew', you will be removed from the parade line up. All animals must be cleaned up after by the group bringing them.
- Motorcyclists are required by Alabama state law to wear helmets at all times. Motorcycles which are not designed and licensed for public streets will not be allowed to participate in the parade.
- Alabama state law prohibits ATVs from public streets; therefore, ATVs are not permitted in the parade.
- Historic vehicles (automotive and non-automotive, ie: wagons) will be allowed in the Bicentennial parade. Please follow all State of Alabama and City of Florence rules transporting historic vehicles to the parade location.
- Florence Main Street, Inc. Executive Committee and the Bicentennial Committee reserves the right to accept or decline any entry.
- Florence Main Street, Inc. Executive Committee and the Bicentennial Committee decisions regarding all entries is final.
- Monday, April 2 is the deadline to enter the parade. This is stated on the entry form and will be strictly enforced. Inclusion of any late entry will be at the sole discretion of Florence Main Street.
More information is available from the Florence Main Street office by calling 256-760-9648.
We thank you for your participation and look forward to seeing you at the 2018 Florence Bicentennial Parade.
Light rain shower
High: 90°F | Low: 73°F